When you keep ignoring those toxic friendship traits and refuse to draw boundaries, you’re signing up for an unending cycle of emotional vampire that just keeps draining your energy
Well, here are signs that your friendship might be going down the drain:
1. They are never accountable
You call out their shortcomings but they’re never accountable. Your concerns are either dismissed or it’s met with excuses.
2. They disrespect boundaries
Sometimes, it’s hard communicating your boundaries, but constant disrespect of boundaries is a no- no and when you try to bring it up, they dismiss it. Talmbot, ‘you’re overreacting’
3. They always need something from youThey keep taking from you, but would never be there when you need them the most. The friendship only benefits them, and when it doesn’t, they make you feel guilty
4. You can’t trust or rely on themWhat really is the aim of having someone you can’t trust or rely on them when in dire need?
5. Unmatched energyUnreciprocated energy is the saddest; you go all out trying to please them, and they make you feel like it’s never enough but wouldn’t lift a finger to reciprocate the same energy.
How to manage it:Being in a toxic friendship hurts but here’s how to manage
- Have an honest conversation with them
- Set clear boundaries
- Put yourself first
- Minimize the energy you invest into it
- Quit trying to please others
- Re-evaluate your values
- Keep your distance
- Maybe you should walk out